Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Internet Implemented - Mercury Glass Ornaments
















This was another crafty something I did over the holidays. While looking at all the DIY glass ornament tutorials, I searched for some using alcohol inks because I don't have many regular reinkers but I have a gajillion alcohol inks from the days of making my own "skittles" (remember those??)

I found this Ranger tutorial  that looked super easy. Turns out Mr Holtz just tends to make things look that way. I found it needed a little practice; but, the results are super pretty and it is quick and fun - not to mention inexpensive enough that I didn't mind experimenting :P  All it takes is some plain glass ornaments, alcohol ink, metallic mixative, and compressed air (which we have 6 cans of for some odd reason). The end result is a multi-colored glass ornament with some opaqueness from the metallic mixative (which gives that mercury glass appearance). Lots of fun. I gave one to each couple in my family but did not keep one for myself (need to make another) so this is the only pic I have. If you clcik on the pic, you can actually see a second ornament that blogger is cutting off

No comments:

Post a Comment