Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sketch me if you can



So, I am a scrapbooking magazine and book junkie. I love looking at all the LOs and reading about design. I have a bunch of sketch books (notably the books from both Becky Higgins and Becky Fleck) But, up until a few nights ago, I can count on one hand the number of times I have actively used a sketch. And those few were specifically for forum/blog challenges. But, I took the time to put all my pagemap cards on a book-ring along with the cards from the kit club I subscribe to. Then I had a convo with a friend who almost always uses sketches (as do many of my friends) and I decided to make myself use some sketches. I have to say, it really does simplify and speed up the process. My only concern is that it may turn into a crutch for me- and that I might tend to follow sketch examples too closely. I don't want to zap the teeny smidge of creativity I actually possess :P But, I think this is - overall- a good tool to have in the arsenal and I've done 3 LOs with a sketch and have picked out another 2pg sketch to work on next.


Anyway, the first layout is my attempt to fix the LO from the previous post. I changed the title to a blue and significantly smaller letter treatment and I like it way better. I think the yellow letters were just a tad too bright an also way too big. I am much happier with the LO now though I still don't think it's my fav page ever *LOL* I think I may go back and paint the last corrugated flower yellow too- maybe that is what I still am not loving even though it was a "design decision" to leave it kraft originally :P What do you think?

The bottom LO was sketch attempt number 2 - from Becky Fleck's PageMaps (2?). It was put together with Heidi Grace's Midnight Kisses papers, Bazzill cardstock, CM border scissors, AC Thickers, 7 Gypsies velvet flowers that were Glimmer Misted to modify the color, K&Co paper clips, a butterfly punch, and the unknown random white CS from Michaels I really like how this one came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment